Internships | Volunteer Opportunities
Internships and volunteer opportunities are a great place to start expanding your resume and building interpersonal skills and community work.
- Volunterring and Internships Abroad: Aguide to help students secure internships and volunteer opportunities abroad.
- Institute for Civic and Community Engagement: 2018 Panetta Congressional Internship
- Equality California Institute (EQCAI): Eighth Annual Comcast Fellowship
- SFSU Health Promotion & Wellness: Internship AND Ambassador Programs 2018-2019
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area: Immigrant Justice Intern
Internship Duties: The Immigrant Justice intern will provide critical assistance to the LCCR’s asylum program by helping screen and interview potential clients, as well as coordinate intakes with volunteers and potentially conduct intakes.
Call individuals on waitlist to be screened, and organize information for determination of intake eligibility.
Provide social services referrals to individuals to be referred out.
Coordinate between potential clients and LCCR volunteers to schedule and facilitate intake appointments.
As experience is gained and skills are developed accordingly, potentially conduct intake interviews.
Prepare evaluations of intakes and draft memoranda to report information from completed intakes to the asylum program.
3. Client Data Management: Input data pertaining to individuals screened and interviewed into Salesforce.
LCCR is seeking applicants with the following qualifications:
Fluency in written and spoken Spanish. Must be comfortable conducting phone calls in
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Must be organized, efficient, and detail-oriented.
Prior experience working with immigrant communities and/or in immigration law preferred.
Prior experience working with survivors of violence and trauma strongly preferred.
Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Word, and Excel is preferred.
Prior experience using client management databases, especially Salesforce preferred.
The asylum program is looking for a commitment of 8-20 hours per week. Applicants who can fulfill a minimum of these hours should submit: (1) a cover letter, (2) a résumé to email@example.com (with “Intern - Immigrant Justice” in the subject line).
- This guide covers the benefits of community volunteering, which can include early work experience, eligibility for scholarships and grants, academic credit, and life skills. In addition to highlighting some of the most recognized programs across the country, this guide provides 7 tips on how to get the most of community service in college and an extensive list of scholarships available exclusively to those engaged in community service.