ETHS Advising FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


How can I declare a major or minor in Ethnic Studies?

There are two ways you can submit:
   -Submit online through your student center. Tutorial here
   -If you can’t find your desired major/minor or are having technical issues, email and request an advisor submit paperwork for you to          registrar. Please include your SID and requested program. 

Are There Drop in Hours? 

Yes! Join the ESAC Zoom link to meet with an advisor during available drop in hours. You will be placed in a waiting room along with anyone else waiting to see an advisor. Folks will be brought into drop in advising sessions one by one on a first come first served basis. If your questions require more time, we can always schedule a follow up appointment. If you do not want to wait, you can also schedule an appointment. 

How do I know what General Education I need?

Your degree progress report has the most accurate information that advisors also check.

            -Log into your student center
            -Under academics; find the drop down menu and select “degree progress report”
            -After selecting that, hit the blue button and wait for the report to load.
            -GEs that need to be complete will be marked with RED boxes. 

How can I find out what I need for my major/minor? 

Your DPR can also now show you what you need for your major and minor in the College of Ethnic Studies. The DPR does not replace advising, but it can be helpful if you have a quick question on what you might need while you wait to meet with someone. Make an appointment with an Advisor, faculty advisor, or department chair if you would like transferred units or courses outside of the bulleton considered for your major.

Where can I find planning sheets for my Major/Minor in Ethnic Studies? 

Students can find planning sheets in our resource page 

I need to submit paperwork to be signed!  

Paperwork Action Notes
Graduation applications for SP20/SU20 Email to SEC/advisor Advisor will forward to registrar after completions
Waiver of College Regulations Email to SEC/advisor Advisor will walk you through required signitures as needed
Course/term (Retroactive)Withdrawl forms Email to instructor After you receive instructor signiture, forward to chair and then to SEC email. 
Double major paperwork Email to SEC/Advisor SEC advisors can fill relevant information and sign off on GE requirements. 

What were the grading options for Fall? 

For any courses where you current grading option is “Letter Grades”, you will have three options for your final grade:

Grading Options Grades Recorded on Transcript
Option 1:
Letter Grades*
Graded (A, B, C, D, No Credit)
Note: No Credit (NC) will appear on the transcript in lieu of an F grade;
NC grades do not negatively impact your GPA
Option 2:
Letter Grades* / No Credit
A, B, C, No Credit
Note: NC is earned for grade of D or below
Option 3:
Credit/No Credit
Credit, No Credit
Note: Credit (CR) is earned for grades of C- or higher

*This includes any plus or minus grades.

For any courses where your current grading option is “Letter Grades/No Credit” you will have the choice to continue with this grading option or switch to the “Credit/No Credit” option.

If your current grading option is “Credit/No Credit”, there are no other grading options offered.

Additional information can be found here: 

What are some resources I can still access as a student? 

The University has compliled a Basic Needs Resources page for students 

Where can I find Department Chair information?

Department Chair Email
American Indian Studies Dr. Joanne Barker
Africana Studies Dr. Doris Flowers
Asian American Studies Dr. Russel Jeung
Latina/Latino Studies Dr. Katynka Martinez
Race and Resistance Studies Dr. Falu Bakriana

Where can I find more information on SFSU/COVID related shutdown?

You can click here for more information regarding University changes on academics and advising