Queer Ethnic Studies Minor
The College of Ethnic Studies developed the Minor in Queer Ethnic Studies to draw from the expertise of our faculty, and to address the demand of our current students, our alumni, and our future students. We see this minor as preparing students for post-graduate study, and for work in a variety of fields, including health care, social work, education, the private sector, and the non-profit sector.
Queer Ethnic Studies is an interdisciplinary field, emergent since the late 1980s; it brings into sharp focus the history and diversity of genders and sexualities in communities of color; with specific attention on the LGBTQ population.
San Francisco has long been heralded as a city that embraces the wide-ranging diversity of its varied populations. In this regard, San Francisco has been seen as a haven that has for many years attracted a large gay, lesbian, and transgender population, and is popularly known as the “Gay Mecca.” This sexual diversity has not been limited to the highly visible white gay and lesbian population in the city. Communities of color also have been a central, yet often underrecognized segment of this diverse population. The Minorin Queer Ethnic Studies strives to shed light on the history and contemporary status of queer communities of color. Moreover, the minor underscores how queer of color theory – seeing the world through a queer of color lens – can create revolutionary change for a more just and equitable world.
12 units, at least 6 units must be upper-division (numbered 300 or above)
Introductory Ethnic Studies (choose one):
- ETHS/RRS 100 (3) Introduction to Ethnic Studies (D1, AERM, SJ) or
- ETHS 110/RRS 110 (3) Critical Thinking (A3, AERM)
- RRS 380 (3) Coloring Queer: Imagining Communities (UD-C, AERM, SJ)
Gender/Sexuality Studies in the disciplines (choose 1)
- WGS 200 (3) Introduction to Women and Gender Studies (D1, AERM, GP, SJ)
- SXS 110 (3) Sexuality in Society (D1, SJ)
- SXS 300 (3) Introduction to Human Sexuality
- SXS 301 (3) Perspectives in Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies
Gender/Sexuality in Communities of Color (choose 1)
- AFRS 202 Black Male Studies
- AAS 584 Asian American Sexualities (UD-C, AERM, GP, SJ)
- AIS 420/WGS 420 Native Genders and Feminism (UD-D, AERM, SJ)
- AIS 440/SXS 440/WGS 440 Native Sexualities and Queer Discourses (UD-D, AERM, GP, SJ)
- LTNS 410 Seminar on Gender and Latinas/os
- LTNS 445/WGS 445 Gendered Borders: Latinas and Globalization (AERM, GP, SJ)
- LTNS 505/WGS 505 Gender, Sexualities, and Latino Communities
- RRS 280 Race, Gender, Science Fiction (C3, AERM)
- RRS 304 Decolonize Your Diet: Food Justice & Gendered Labor in Communities of Color (UD-B, AERM, ES)
- RRS 460/SXS 460/COUN 450 AIDS and People of Color in the US (UD-D, AERM, SJ)
- RRS 571 Women, Class, and Race (UD-C, AERM, ES, GP, SJ
- xCCSF - LGBT 9, The Latin American and Latina/o LGBT Experience
- xCCSF - LGBT 50, Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender/Communities of Color in the U.S
- xSDMesa BLAS 150 – Black Women in Literature, Film, and Media
- xSDMesa BLAS 165 – Sexuality and Black Culture
To declare the minor:
Go to your SFSU Gateway
Choose Queer Ethnic Studies from the pull-down menu.
Bring your form for approval and signature to one of the following. We will file the form with the Registrar's Office for you.