Mandatory Advising

According to San Francisco State University policy, students need to seek out major and minor advising on a regular basis but especially at the following key points in their academic careers:
1. When the student starts the major or minor program requirements.
2. When the student becomes a junior.
3. When the student is ready to graduate.
In addition, advising is necessary if and when the student experiences academic difficulty, including probation and possibility of disqualification.

Advising Philosophy

Academic advising is a key ingredient to educational achievement. In conjunction with classroom learning, academic advising guides students and enables them to complete their academic goals in a timely manner. It also facilitates intellectual and personal development, enhances academic performance and ensures progress towards graduation.

Student Advising Responsibilities:

Students are responsible for the following:

1. Knowing and completing all degree requirements.
2. Purchasing and reading a SFSU Bulletin once upon entering the University and a Class Schedule every semester. Obtaining department or major brochures, handbooks and information as necessary.
3. Attending a new student orientation program.
4. Declaring a major in a timely manner. It is recommended that students who enter SFSU as freshman declare a major by no later than the end of the sophomore year and those students who enter as junior transfers declare a major by the end of the second semester in attendance.
5. Maintaining a personal academic advising folder and taking it to every advising appointment. It is recommended that this folder include:

a. Grade reports or unofficial copies of prior college/university transcripts;
b. Evaluations of transfer credit [Advanced Standing Evaluation or DARS]
c. DARS, G.E. and Graduation check lists;
d. Semester grade reports; and
e. Tentative schedules and other forms and notes from formal advising sessions [e.g. Incomplete Grade Form, Academic Probation Form, Course Withdrawal Form, etc.]

6. Seeking academic advising at the appropriate time. Minimally to include when: entering the university; starting the major/minor; experiencing academic difficulty; becoming a junior; and preparing to graduate.
7. Seeking academic advising from the appropriate sources:

a. Declared majors/minors will receive their primary academic advising from their major/minor department;
b. Students with declared majors/minors who are also in special academic support programs, such as EOP, need to maintain regular contact with the faculty advisor in their major/minor.

For academic advising, please visit the Ethnic Studies Student Engagement Center (EP 117).